9.24.2008

I wanna go to Heaven

Hannah thinks that the way to get to Heaven is through our potty. And why wouldn't she? When our fish died (fish being plural-- we can't seem to keep those little boogers alive), Hannah flushed them down the potty and said, "Bye bye, fish. Go to Heaven." And last night we discovered a spider floating in her potty. As she flushed him away, I asked her where he was going...of course she said he was on his way to Heaven.

So I asked her, "Do you know what Heaven is?" And she just shook her head. So I started to tell her about Heaven as I dried her off from her bath. I told her that Heaven is where Jesus and God are and about the streets paved with gold; the mansions; that it never gets dark; and that nobody is ever sad or sick.


Her response? "I wanna go." Of course she does!


I said, "Baby, I want you to go, too, but not for a long, long time." And I pray I get there before she does.


Sometimes I get so caught up in making sure my children have what they need to excel in life that I neglect to give them the tools to excel in the afterlife. My job is to make sure they get to Heaven, not to Harvard. (But if they get to Heaven by way of Harvard, then that's ok, too.)


Children have a way of reaching into the innermost depths of your soul and tugging at emotions and thoughts you don't even know you have. It's amazing how their view of life is so honest, so pure. And I thank God every day for giving me these little blessings.

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Hi Christi! This is your old cousin Steve...

What a great blog and post! Hannah is smart just like her mother and grandmother!

I have no doubt you'll be pointing her in the right direction...as you will do for your other pea in the pod!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful mommy! Heaven is where we all want to be one day, and sometimes it takes the simple things to remind us that THIS is not Heaven....That Heaven is for those of us who live by His word while we're in this pre-Heaven! With all the blessings we have, it's easy to forget this isn't Heaven and that we have to teach our children about their glorious life to come....that this is just a stepping stone for all of us....and that it just gets better!!