
The wait staff at Old Mexico always have a fit over Carter...rubbing his head and pinching his cheeks and chattering to him in Spanish. He seems to "eat" it up. Friday night, we told them that it was his birthday (seemingly obvious from the "birthday boy" shirt he was wearing). So I was totally expecting the singing and fried ice cream treat, but I didn't expect the baby sombrero and the waiter smearing a spoonful of ice cream and whipped cream all over Carter's face! Carter had this "I-have-no-idea-what's-going-on" expression during the whole experience, but he thoroughly enjoyed his sweet treat!
THE BIG PARTY!
On Saturday, we enjoyed a small, family-only party here at the house. Mimi did a marvelous job on the cakes...a little round cake with blue, white and brown icing for Carter and a big #1-shaped cake with blue icing and brown dots for the rest of us.
On Saturday, we enjoyed a small, family-only party here at the house. Mimi did a marvelous job on the cakes...a little round cake with blue, white and brown icing for Carter and a big #1-shaped cake with blue icing and brown dots for the rest of us.
As Jason lit the candle and sat the cake down in front of Carter, Carter made a dive for the cake -- mouth first. Jason held his hands down so he wouldn't grab hold of the candle. For the longest time, he just bent down and ate it by the mouthful. Eventually, he realized it was OK to use his hands, and then it was on! Here's a progression of the destruction...
After a quick bath, Carter was ready to open his gifts. His favorite was his new tractor from Mimi and Pop...
Hannah got a few little gifts of her own. After all, Carter would've never made it to the big 0-1 without such a great big sister. The past year has been rough for her...probably for her more than anybody. I never realized how much a new baby could change an older child. And I never knew how much those little gifts mean to a big sister (or brother), even though it's not their birthday. Now I know how much of a difference it makes to show attention to an older child before ooh-ing and ahh-ing over a new baby; to bring a small token gift to a soon-to-be big sister/brother at a baby shower; and to give an older child a gift on their sibling's birthday. I guess that's one of the MANY things I'll learn from my children.
Enough sappiness...
After the party, we attempted to take a family picture. It didn't turn out quite as perfect as I'd hoped, but it definitely captures the personality of our family...

No comments:
Post a Comment