This past Sunday, Hannah and I had the joy of helping deliver Christmas packages to the residents at the nursing home. Even though I tried to talk her into staying home with her Daddy and brother, she insisted that she wanted to go. So I put on her new Santa shirt, and she accessorized the outfit with a silver beaded necklace and her new “boots with the fur.”
All the way there, I tried to prepare her (myself) for what lay ahead. I told her that there would be no children except for her and that some people would be sick and in bed. I threatened her to within an inch of her life to only use “nice words” while we were there. “I will, Mama,” she assured me.
What I saw her do once she got inside those doors was nothing short of amazing. My shy, hide-behind-Mama’s-legs-when-somebody-tries-to-speak-to-me, don’t-even-THINK-about-touching-me child turned into this sweet, kind-hearted, warm and loving little angel. (She also turned into the boss and took charge of our cart of goodies, making sure we covered every room.)
She took gifts into the rooms and sat them on tables or in residents’ laps. She let them hug her and pinch her cheeks and even sat on a few laps. She wasn’t afraid and didn’t ask the first question. She just went room-to-room handing out the little packages. Come to think of it, she didn’t talk much at all.
On a few occasions, Hannah would peek into the rooms and say, “Shhh Mama…she’s asleep. Let’s leave it on the table.”
And what brought me more joy than I could imagine was the residents’ reaction to HER. Some simply smiled at her. Some wanted to just touch her. Several tried to give her candy (which I accepted for her) or cookies.
One husband and wife couple invited us in their room and tried their best to adopt us. The lady said to Hannah, “Come on in, baby. Go see Paw Paw.” And Hannah went right on over. The lady showed us all her pictures and told us where she used to live and just seemed utterly delighted to have visitors.
Another lady was laying in her bed looking out the door into the hall. I watched her watch people file past her door with not much expression until she saw Hannah. Her whole face lit up and she cackled and squealed and reached out for Hannah. So we made a special trip inside to visit with her for a minute.
As we gathered in the lobby to leave, my Daddy told Hannah to go over to a gentleman sitting alone on the other side of the room and tell him “Merry Christmas.” So she did, and he smiled and said the same to her. Then he left. And fast….who knew he could peddle that wheelchair that fast?! As we were literally walking out the door, he rounded the corner and called out to her. He was digging in his shirt pocket, and pulled out a small pearl necklace. He handed to Hannah and said, “I won this at Bingo and been lookin’ for a purty girl to give it to.” What a treasure!
I left there with my heart filled to overflowing. Not just for having visited with those precious souls, but for the feeling of fulfillment that only comes from knowing you’ve brought someone else a bit of joy. Hannah is much too young to understand just what an impact her presence made in those people’s day. I am so proud of her for showing such compassion and allowing them to love on her the way she did…something well beyond her typical comfort zone.
Children are such a blessing…and I thank God every day that He has trusted me to care for the two beautiful and perfect gifts that are my children.

1 comment:
Well...I'm boo-hooing...
Post a Comment