10.16.2008

Furry friends

Since Hannah has proven herself as such a good caretaker of small critters (especially insects), we decided it was time for her to have a REAL pet.

It really became apparent to me that the poor child needed a pet when yesterday I picked her up from daycare and she was so excited to show me the bug she'd captured and kept all day. Mrs. Bev said that one of the other little girls looked at the bug and asked, "Is it a stink bug?" And my child replied, "No. I think he took a bath."

Bless her sweet little heart!

So, after much deliberation on my part, we decided to see about get her a puppy. And by destiny (or was it fate?) this little adorable creature found us.

We surprised her with him this afternoon...big bow around his neck and everything. She squealed and screamed and seemed absolutely delighted to have a puppy of her very own. To begin with, she wasn't quite sure what to do with him (and he was utterly scared to death), but it didn't take long for them to become "buds."






She decided to name him Snoopy. Not because she's ever even heard of Peanuts, but because she plays with one of my old toys at her Mimi's house...a small wooden dog with red wheels and a string for her to pull him by...and his name is Snoopy. This doggie actually looks like that little toy.

She toted him around like a little rag doll (and he let her) and then she and her daddy fixed him a nice cozy spot in the back porch. I kept hearing her say, "I love you," to him and he would lick her on the nose. So sweet -- for both of them.

After supper (which was all of 2 bites for her), she went out to "put him to sleep" -- which she did. And he's out there snoozing away right now.

It took a lot of convincing (and a little discussion about fleas) to convince her that dogs should stay OUTside (at least at our house).

Jason said, "You know how people say newborn babies get sore from being held too much?" Yeah. "Well that dog's gonna be sore by tomorrow." And he's probably right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and hearing about what the kids are up to. :-)

Heather said...

Awwww!!!!! How stinkin cute! I'm so excited for Hannah!! :)

Anonymous said...

I am soooooooo proud she loves him!!! They are so cute!!! I love your child!! She's so precious!!!!